The Smith County Courthouse on Grant Street was completed January 1, 1920. This imposing modern classical eclecticism style building is 97 feet long, 81 feet wide and 47 feet high. Its construction is of gray Ozark granite up to the water table or to the first floor. From there on up it is of cream colored Bedford stone. The flooring and wainscoting throughout is tile. Stairways to the 1st and 2nd floors are marble. The attic of the courthouse in 1920 had two padded jail cells and two common cells. This area is used for storage today. Total cost of the original building completely furnished was approximately $98,000 and was paid for in full when ready to be occupied.