Comanche County, KS : Community
Clubs & Organizations
General Recreation & Attractions
Register of Deeds:
Comanche County Sheriff:
Emergency Management: 620-582-2236
Noxious Weed Director:
Road & Bridge Department:
Comanche County Economic Development Foundation
K-State Research & Extension
Comanche County History:
- In 1873 five men - A.J. Mowry & James Dunlap from Donaphan County, Alexander Mills from Topeka, C.C. Bemis and Major L.J. Bowlis of Hutchinson tried to establish Comanche County. This group of fake County Commissioners received money for fictitious bonds and tried to pass off Comanche County as a thriving community when in fact there were no citizens.
- Comanche County strongly influenced by the Comanche, Kiowa's Cheyennes, Arapahoe, and Plains Apache Indians who were the earliest inhabitants of the area.
- 1873 - C.C. "Cap" Pepperd, illustrious cattle rancher, arrived in Comanche County
- The Comanche Pool originated in the winter of 1877-1878. Ranchers "pooled" their cattle resources and began with 26,000 head, representing 20 brands. Pool territory included the western half of Barber County, all of present day Comanche County, eastern portions of Clark County and the lower one-fourth of Kiowa County, and the northern half of Woods County in Oklahoma.
- By 1884 there were over 80,000 head of cattle in the Comanche Pool.
- May 1885 - because of the increasing number of cattle roaming the countryside, Herd Law went into effect. This law required cattlemen to fence their stock and made them liable for crop damage done by livestock.
- Summer 1885 - The Comanche Pool was dissolved.
- In 1888 Comanche County officially organized
- The courthouse, completed in 1927, houses a beautiful antique, working wind-up clock. Still contains part of the original jail and other offices.
- Coldwater, Protection, and Wilmore - only surviving towns out the the original twenty in the county.
- 1928 - Chief Theatre opened by Paul Gossett and displays its Art Deco interior
- The Chief Theatre added a Native American motif painted by Don Nicholas in 1947
- 2011 - Residents banded together as a community to save grocery store - a board and foundation offered stock in the business to the public thereby funding the grocery store and setting an excellent example for rural commerce.
- First dreamed up by a group of men from Harper County who wanted to start a county seat. C.M. Cade was one of the founders in 1884
- This group met Mr. C.D. Bickford what was also trying to establish a town site.
- Mr. Bickford, from Coldwater, Michigan, stated he would give up his town site project if the group allowed the new site to be named after him.
- View all the towns
- Grainfield, KS
- Quinter, KS
- Grinnell, KS
- Hoxie, KS
- Bird City, KS
- Palco, KS
- Erie, KS
- Park, KS
- Baxter Springs, KS
- Pomona, KS
- Arlington, KS
- Burden, KS
- Winchester, KS
- Colony, KS - coming soon!